Skip to main content

Digital Inmigrants are still alive

This is the fifth year I develop a blog for adults with an intermediate level of English and I still find students' resistance to use ICT resources as learning tools.

What make things even more disappointing is the fact that teachers are not very eager to use the blog either. This does not happen with teachers with ESL courses for kids.  I was worried about this bad predisposition and asked blog developers from other schools about their experiences and they told me they have the same problem.

Why do we have this problem with adults? I met Graham Stanley on chat and asked him for a piece of advice. He reminded me about the gap between digital inmigrants and natives. After Prenski's article "H. Sapiens Digital: From Digital Immigrants and Digital Natives to Digital Wisdom", I thought this gap has disappeared but it has  not. Kids and teenagers can spend nearly the whole day in front of the PC because they do not use it only for doing school homework,  but also for having fun. so they enjoy working with computers and other tech gadgets mainly cellphones. Whereas adults use computers for work, so blogging or doing interactive activities may tire them. Adults will avoid screens and go back to books, pens and sheets of paper because that is their familiar way of leaning.

What shall I do? As regards students, I will be patient and try to present innovative activities in the blog. Activities which may call their attention because they are different from the ones they do in class. As regards teachers, I will give them ideas about how to use the web2.0 resources to engage students and try to go with them to the computer classroom to make them feel more confident. 

Any suggestions? Feel free to leave your suggestion in comments. Thank you :-)

Comments

Susana Canelo said…
http://icyteas.com/?page_id=20
It shows another point of view. Interesting indeed.
Teachers sometimes are afraid because they're given the title of inmigrants. Maybe we can change that or just put that label in the right place.

Popular posts from this blog

Alexa Thompson discusses the ways that learning English in an online or offline setting can benefit non-native speakers

The Internet platform has become an essential tool for learning and teaching online , as noted by English Virtual Community. In this post, Alexa Thompson discusses the ways that learning English in an online or offline setting can benefit non-native speakers. For instance, learning English can lead to outsourced jobs that big businesses make available overseas. To read more about online English school from Alexa, visit the website she maintains about English education. English as a second language teachers, English Language Learners Did you know you can get a foreign job based on your ability to speak English? Many work opportunities are available to English speakers from almost any country in the world. Thanks to the Internet and impact outsourcing, more foreign speakers of English are coming into contact with businesses from North America and Europe, making English as a Second Language courses extremely valuable for both students and native English speakers. The last three decades h

ARCALL first Online Congress

After nearly two months of work , ARCALL is proud to announce the opening of its first online Congress together with AVEALMEC. The organizing team has worked very hard: preparing the material, website, MOODLE platform content, WiziQ sessions. Today the forums have been opened. I will be moderating the forum about Commuties of Practice together with my dearest friend and colleague Evelyn Izquierdo. Follow us at: http://avealmec.org.ve/moodle  or in twitter http://twitter.com/avealmec I hope you will enjoy the experience.

My first Meme (pingback and trackback)

When did I start using Internet? I think it coincides with the economic change in Argentina ( 1 peso = 1 dollar) in the late 90's. I started using e-mailing. I have friedns and family living abroad or in other cities, and they usually complain about the fact that I am pretty lazy for writing letters and going to the post office. So, e-mailing was a solution for me. A really turning point took place in 2001 when I was invited to an on line course on " How to evalute websites" carried out by another Argentinean - Prof. Norma Scagnoli- working at the University of Illinois. She introduced me into the virtual world and there I met one of my dearest cyberfriends: Prof. Dafne Gonzalez. From that moment my virtual life started. I bagan exploring the net and that same year I opened my firs e-group: English Virtual Community. My first steps on the Internet were really awful. I used to have dial up connection, so my experience was a bit poor. I could not spend much time on line and